When do I need a building permit?

As a home builder and remodeler in San Antonio, Texas, Rhino Design Build gets this question a lot.  When do I need a building permit? If you are building more than 100 sq ft or moving walls or doors, a building permit is required in the City of San Antonio. If you’re doing sidewalk, driveway repair, or driveway approach work a permit is required.

If your contractor tells you that a permit is not required, use caution.  When in doubt, call the City of San Antonio and find out for yourself.  Homeowners (owners) can obtain building permits and hire licensed contractors to perform the work or if you are hiring a general contractor, he can pull the permit for you. Homeowners can obtain a home repair permit, plumbing and mechanical permit to perform repairs or replace fixtures in a single family home. Electrical repairs must be performed by a licensed electrical contractor. A building permit will be required when any construction work is conducted. Electrical, plumbing and mechanical permitting should be acquired by the contractor.

All permits can be obtained at The City of San Antonio Planning and Services Department located at 1901 South Alamo, San Antonio, Texas 78204.

Do I need a permit to have the siding replaced on my home?

Yes, a general repairs permit is needed for siding on a residential structure. Permit may be obtained by the homeowner or contractor at 1901 S. Alamo during business hours.